Home > About Us > History

History

WCF can trace its history back to the late 19th century.  There has been a church building at the current site since 1888. The first church was simply called The Mission which originally met in a corrugated tin hut and a hop kiln.

 


Various building work took place mainly thanks to the Whitehead family. The two Whitehead sisters devoting their lives to the work of the Mission .

It was only in the 1960's that the name changed to Wilmington Evangelical Free Church. At around the same time the church built its Manse.

Various Pastors lived there but more recently it has been become the Well Counselling Centre with it's lounge being used for coffee mornings and a variety of church events.

The new church building was built in the 1970s with additional halls being added. The name was changed to Wilmington Christian Fellowship in the early 1980s.

 

Since that time much has taken place, both in terms of buildings, with the old building or Mission Hall being restored, and in the life of the church more generally.  The 1990s was a time of growth with several churches being planted from WCF (see Harbour Ministries page for more details), and the life and witness of the church in Wilmington continues to develop.  Watch this space!